Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Senior Site Reliability Engineer
United States, Georgia, Atlanta
Ref #: 16894
How you'll help us Keep Climbing (overview & key responsibilities)
Join Delta IT on our journey to becoming the best IT organization in the airline industry.
Delta IT is on a journey of transformation. We are changing the way we do business from top to bottom. As thought-leaders within Delta, we strive to create meaningful and innovative solutions and are looking for team members to help us realize our vision.
The Senior Site Reliability Engineer will drive cross-team initiatives that improves Delta engineering practices through increased accountability and deliver increased uptime and performance for the business. An ideal candidate would have prior experience implementing observability plans around logs, metrics, and traces.
What you'll be doing?
- Engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of services—from inception and design through deployment, operation and refinement
- Support capacity planning, availability, scalability, security and latency considerations for new infrastructure and service provisioning as appropriate
- Responsible for improvements to end-to-end availability and performance of mission critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence.
- Strong experience setting SLOs / SLIs / error budgets and managing of reliability for infrastructure and applications
- Partner with other SREs to bring best practices or learnings from across the organization to them
- Scale and optimize existing infrastructure and services sustainably through mechanisms, including automation, and evolve them by improving reliability and efficiency
- Manage end-to-end availability and performance of mission-critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence
- Maintain infrastructure and services by measuring, and monitoring system metrics to proactively identify operational efficiencies, potential outages and security threats in Development, UAT, Staging and Production environments
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems
- Build infrastructure and drive projects that break things with the aim to improve the robustness of production systems
- Use the core Site Reliability Engineering principles of change management, monitoring, emergency response, capacity planning, and production readiness reviews to run the platform
- Step back to observe patterns and develop innovative tools and automation to eliminate or minimize menial tasks. Use those learnings to drive the best operational practices
- Develop and maintain solution and operational documentation and designs for all infrastructure and services within the scope of SRE
- Preserve operational visibility and response capabilities — fixing and improving our dashboards, alerts, and automation
Benefits and Perks to Help You Keep Climbing
Our culture is rooted in a shared dedication to living our values – Care, Integrity, Resilience, Servant Leadership, and Teamwork – every day, in everything we do. At Delta, our people are our success. At the heart of what we offer is our focus on Sharing Success with Delta employees. Exploring a career at Delta gives you a chance to see the world while earning great compensation and benefits to help you keep climbing along the way:
- Competitive salary, industry-leading profit sharing program, and performance incentives
- 401(k) with generous company contributions up to 9%
- Paid time off including vacation, holidays, paid personal time, maternity and parental leave
- Comprehensive health benefits including medical, dental, vision, short/long term disability and life benefits
- Family care assistance through fertility support, surrogacy and adoption assistance, lactation support, subsidized back-up care, and programs that help with loved ones in all stages
- Holistic Wellbeing programs to support physical, emotional, social, and financial health, including access to an employee assistance program offering support for you and anyone in your household, free financial coaching, and extensive resources supporting mental health
- Domestic and International space-available flight privileges for employees and eligible family members
- Career development programs to achieve your long-term career goals
- World-wide partnerships to engage in community service and innovative goals created to focus on sustainability and reducing our carbon footprint
- Business Resource Groups created to connect employees with common interests to promote inclusion, provide perspective and help implement strategies
- Recognition rewards and awards through the platform Unstoppable Together
- Access to over 500 discounts, specialty savings and voluntary benefits through Deltaperks such as car and hotel rentals and auto, home, and pet insurance, legal services, and childcare
What you need to succeed (minimum qualifications)
- Experience handling large numbers of diverse systems with configuration management systems like Puppet, Chef, Ansible
- Proven history of toil elimination by leveraging automation
- Strong background using tools like PagerDuty for managing incidents
- Strong experience with monitoring and alerting systems like Prometheus, Grafana, Datadog.
- Understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as HTTP, DNS, ECMP, TCP/IP, ICMP, the OSI Model, Subnetting and Load Balancing strategies
- Experience in Serverless Application Framework
- Experience in containerized workloads and management platforms such as Docker or Kubernetes
- Familiarity with distributed systems is a plus including Microservices
- Experience in Infrastructure automation tools such as CloudFormation, Terraform
- Understanding of CI/CD processes and experience with deployment automation tools such as Code Pipeline, Code Deploy, Jenkins, Bamboo
- Strong debugging, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- Effective communication, collaboration & negotiation skills with the ability to interface with various business units and third parties
- Experience liaising with developers, operations staff and third-party resources
- Experience with API integration projects
- Software Engineering or Computer Science equivalent degree (Desirable)
- 7+ years of total software engineering experience
- 5+ years support a production system on a DevOps team
- 5+ years of experience running and building systems in cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud or Microsoft Azure
- Where permitted by applicable law, must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire to be considered for U.S.-based job, if not currently employed by Delta Air Lines, Inc.
What will give you a competitive edge (preferred qualifications)
- Experience using AWS Cloudwatch
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related technical field.
- Experience working in an airline technology environment.
Delta Air Lines, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation in its application process for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans. If you are a qualified individual, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings through this site, apply for jobs through Delta's online system, or at any point in the selection process. To request a reasonable accommodation, please click here